Best Free Anti Viruses
Anti viruses are the softwares which are designed to detect and destroy different forms of threats and malicious files that are harmful to your operating system.
In this day and age, anti viruses are a must for every computer because even if you are not connected to the internet, your windows could get infiltrated by viruses and malware programs through USB flash drives and DVDs. Now the problem is that most of the anti viruses that are actually good are very expensive, but that doesn't mean free anti virus applications are not present. This is your guide to the best security packages for your windows that are free of cost:
1:Qihoo 360 Total Security
Qihoo's main interface is very simple and has only a few buttons that are for virus scans only. On installation, three engines of Qihoo Antivirus are already active but you have to activate Bitdefender and Avira engines manually for maximum efficiency and security.
- Qihoo 360 has three kinds of scans: Quick Scan, Full Scan and Custom scan. Quick Scan performs a fast and superficial scan, Full Scan performs a deep scan, checking each and every file while custom scan allows you to scan selective files and folders.
- Its Malware Protection is also pretty good which gives you the options to take different actions once it has detected a threat or a malicious file. Malware Protection also blocks many dubious Web pages and suspicious downloads.
- Phishing detection works fine too. It blocks those pages that try to steal your information by tricking you into writing your password and credit card number.
- It also has USB Drive Protection tool that protects your USB flash drives from contracting viruses and threats when plugged into other computers.
According to the most recent AV test on windows 8.1, Qihoo 360 Total Security scored 97% against "0-day malware attacks" and 99% against "detection of widespread and prevalent malwares".
2: AVG Antivirus Free
AVG Antivirus is easy to download and install. It comes with an interface that looks kind of messy but it's easy to get used to it. The main tab is quite busy and that's because AVG doesn't prioritize anything, it presents everything on the main interface.
- AVG Antivirus has two scan modes: a "full scan" mode and a selective "custom mode" that lets you choose which files and folders you want scanned. If it detects anything suspicious, it moves the files into a temporary quarantine location called Virus Vault.
- AVG provides a feature called Link Scanner that checks the Web pages for threats and malwares.
- Then there is "Identity Protection" which protects your password from the websites that try to acquire them secretly. Email Protection is another tool that allows you to scan emails that are spams and malwares.
- Fire Shredder lets you delete files from your hard disk permanently without sending it to the recycle bin.
- AVG doesn't come with a built-in mobile organizing hub which is present in Avira and Avast. It has a different application for it, which is also free but you have to download it separately.
According to the most recent AV test on windows 8.1, AVG scored 96% against "0-day malware attacks" and 99% against "detection of widespread and prevalent malwares".
3:Avast Free Antivirus
Avast's installation is pretty easy and comes with a user friendly interface. There is a feature list on the left side of the main tab that shows all the tools and features. The main tab shows the protection status of your windows and it also displays whether the Antimalware Protection is working or not.
- Avast has Quick Scan, Full Scan and selective or Manual Scan options. It also gives you the option to scan external storage media like USB flash drives and DVDs.
- Avast comes with many kinds of shields, which protect your windows from getting infected. It has Web Shield, File System Shield and Mail Shield.
- It also comes with 'Browser Cleanup' which checks the browsers for malicious and harmful extensions and toolbars.
- 'Software Updater' is another feature of Avast that shows you the programs that you have installed on your system and whether they are fully updated or not.
- By using 'My Devices' you can manage multiple computers and operating systems that have Avast installed on them.
According to the most recent AV test on windows 8.1, Avast scored 94% against "0-day malware attacks" and 98% against "detection of widespread and prevalent malwares".
4:Avira Free Antivirus
It is one of the top rated antivirus softwares that provides you a lot for nothing. It's main interface is very simple, probably too simple, but it gives you everything you need right on the main screen. Most of the new programs have big buttons that are pleasant to the eye, but Avira isn't like that. It concentrates on the efficiency, and in that department, it does a very good job.
- Avira Free Antivirus has five main features: PC Protection, Internet Protection, Mobile Protection, Child Protection and Administration.
- You can initiate scans from the PC Protection and select what you want scanned and what you want left out. If it detects anything, it puts it into 'Quarantine' and allows you to take actions for each file and threat individually.
- In the Internet Protection, it has 'Firewall' that actually tells you the best settings for the original windows firewall. It has a browser plugin too, which blocks the pages that are suspicious and may contain malware.
- You can install Avira on your iOS and Android and connect it to your windows app through 'Mobile Protection'.
- Child Protection allows you to protect your children from the explicit content on the internet and also helps you monitor their activities.
According to the most recent AV test on windows 8.1, Avira scored 100% against "0-day malware attacks" and "detection of widespread and prevalent malwares".
These are the best anti viruses available today in the market that are free but do not compromise the security of your windows and protect you from all the new threats and malwares. So, if you are tight on budget, these are your options.